January 8, 2015
Chandeliers bring elegance & shine to a room until they are due for a cleaning! We would like to share with you a step-by-step process on how to clean these delicate beauties! Cleaning a crystal chandelier is fiddly & requires care. Nevertheless, it needs to be done & it’s a methodical, rhythmical kind of cleaning that leaves you feeling proud of a job well done at the end. The first step (deciding to do it) is really the hardest! The result will be absolutely stunning! Here’s what to do.
• Disconnect / switch off the power. While you wait for the globes to cool, move all furniture and breakables out of the work area.
• Lay a blanket on the floor under the chandelier. (This will soften the fall if anything should accidently come loose)
• Before you take the chandelier apart, take some digital photos from several angles to help with reassembly
• Remove the globes and allow them to cool before dusting.
• Clean in sections
• Remove the crystals and wash in soapy water. Rinse & wipe dry with a lint free cloth.
• When you are done with 1 section, reassemble and move onto another section until complete.
• Wipe & buff the frame with the appropriate metal cleaner (Hagherty’s Silver Cloth / Brasso / silver cleaner etc), alternatively dust with a dry clean paint brush, which will help brush the dust away getting into all the crevices with ease.
• The best part is, you will be left with clean and sparkling lighting that will only need to be cleaned again in a few months time!